On Friday 1 October 2021, Compass Support, the charitable arm of The Pioneer Group, hosted an array of activities to celebrate International Day for Older Persons at The Sanctuary in Castle Vale. The event was well attended by seniors from the community and included a cake & coffee morning, walking, exercise, and litter picking as well as bingo.
International Day for Older Persons was established by the United Nations General Assembly, in December 1990, to create awareness of the effects of an ageing population. The day also represents the importance of ensuring that people can grow older with dignity and continue to participate in society with full rights.
The theme for this year’s International Day for Older Persons is “Digital Equity for All Ages”, highlighting the need for access and meaningful participation in the digital world by older persons.
According to the UN, over the next 50 years, the number of elderly people across the world is set to increase from about 600 million to almost 2 billion. Today, one in ten people is aged 60 or above. This will grow to one in five people by 2050, and one in three by 2051.
Leonie Hammond, Health and Wellbeing Project Coordinator said:
The older generation makes a major contribution to society and to our local area, through volunteering, sharing their knowledge and experience, helping out families with caring responsibilities and also contributing to the national workforce. The day was led by our wonderful Community Organisers and was a resounding success celebrating these valuable members of our local community.
Do not worry if you were not able to attend our activities on the day. There is still plenty that anyone (over or under 60s) can get involved in within the Castle Vale area, including the following. Click on each link below for further information:
- Litter Picking: This lovely, friendly group has a real passion for keeping our areas and communities tidy and clean.
- Exercise classes: A fun exercise class for older adults focusing on improving balance and confidence, mobility and flexibility, strength and independence while having fun and making friends.
- Walking Group: For those that want to explore the great outdoors in the Castle Vale area and meet some friendly, like-minded people. The walk lasts an hour and is at your own pace.
- Local choir: Generations Choir is an established choir with a mix of less experienced and more seasoned singers who enjoy meeting up weekly and singing in a warm, welcoming atmosphere. The choir sings mainly popular songs, including hits from The Beatles, George Ezra and popular musicals. The choir holds a variety of performances throughout the year in care homes, shopping centres, fetes and carnivals.
- Think Positive Be Positive: A weekly community-led social group that takes part in different activities to improve health and wellbeing.
- Brew Up Keep Busy: Pop along to explore some new hobbies or bring your own interests along to enjoy whilst having a tea or coffee and a chat. There are free puzzles, puzzle books, arts and crafts, knitting and crochet bits all for free for you to enjoy.
- Craft Connecting: Pop along for this free weekly craft session, either use our resources or bring something you are working on!